Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Under the Covers

I know all of you have sat in the chair I am sitting in this morning. No, it might not be a black leather office chair. it might not be in my bedroom in Santiago, Dominican Republic. You might not be able to see beautiful white clouds, in a blue sky, over a mountain setting-and you might not have a brand new air conditioner that a pastor so kindly bought for you. Nonetheless, I am sure you have sat in my chair.

You see, as I sit in this comfortable leather chair, I am contemplating. What, you say? Jessica, contemplating? Can't be possible. Most of you know that I am a contemplative, and I dissect most things beyond dissection.

I look back at this month that has passed behind me. I wonder, how can one single human being have accomplished as much as I did last month. Then I think to myself, I must have been crazy. Then again, craziness must run in my blood, since every month is the exact same. Just different services, different churches, and different towns.

I sit here and think, wow, I'm 32. (Yes, all of you precious friends wished me the Happiest of Birthdays. Thank you.) I look back to Sunday Morning when my husband asked me what I wanted to do on my birthday. The beach? No, thank you. The mall? No. The capitol? No Out on the town? No Lunch at the new Italian restaurant? No The spa? No, thank you. What would you like to do, he asks? With a sheepish grin, I respond, "Can I just stay in bed all day long in my pajamas, reading, relaxing, and enjoy our new air-conditioned room?"

Does this mean that I'm OLD? It seems like I have waited all of my life to finally be OLD. Friends, I think it crept up on me....

My gorgeous husband looked at me, somewhat perplexed..(this isn't the Jess he knows. the Jess he knows would be bouncing off the walls, ready to celebrate her birthday in a BIG way..) Then comes the barrage of questions..."are you sick? NO are you okay? yes you're not depressed? now, why would I be depressed? are you SURE you're okay? YES"

He brought me a big mac for lunch (one of my favorite burgers) Bought me donuts for breakfast. Stuck his head in the room every few minutes to make sure I was really okay. Snuck in when he thought I wasn't watching to sit and stare at me. I started to wonder if maybe I had 3 heads or something. I think I really threw him for a loop...crazy, fun, outrageous, spontaneous Jess wanted to stay in BED for her birthday...

This really made me think. How many of us are leaders, mentors, pastors wives, assistant pastors wives, missionary wives, youth pastors wives, the list could go on and on.

We jump into the fray, ready to do battle with the enemy, ready to hold the fort, lead the march, preach and teach until we turn blue, with people following us, ready to charge when we yell the cry...

Time passes, years go by, and we are still in the forefront, doing our best for His kingdom..but then the day comes when sometimes out of necessity, we ask, "can I just crawl under my covers and REST." PLEASE, someone, anyone, just let me sit and take a deep breath...

Then come the people who follow...they peek in, ask the questions, make sure you are fine, sit perplexed, wondering..and it finally occurs to them that you are...*GASP* HUMAN...

So, my dear friends, as I sit in my leather bound chair, I say to you, (and yes, this is coming from the person that some call the energizer bunny), it's okay to crawl under your covers sometimes, just be sure to COME BACK OUT!

No comments:

Post a Comment